in wind power projects
20 kW drivetrain
250 kW drivetrain
World's first wind turbine with a Brushless DFIG
The world's first wind turbine incorporating a Brushless DFIG was erected in Cambridge, UK in March 2009. The wind turbine is grid connected and a
ll the electrical systems including the generator, power electronics converter and the control, monitoring and protection systems were designed and developed by our engineering team. The superior control system adjusts the generator speed and power factor to achieve maximum output power whilst satisfying grid requirements.
The Brushless DFIG has a rated speed of 750 rpm and is coupled to a 2-stage gearbox. 70% of the power is directly fed into the mains, whilst the remaining 30% is fed through the converter.
A standard commercial wind turbine was utilised, made by Gazelle Wind Turbines, which is normally a fixed-speed turbine and has a conventional squirrel-cage induction generator. We have converted the turbine's drivetrain to operate at variable speed with higher efficiency by incorporating the Brushless DFIG. The measurements from its operation have shown an improved efficiency and power curve, specially at low wind speeds.
The project shows that a Brushless DFIG-based wind turbine is practical and the design, operation and dynamics of the system are understood and predictable. Though the siting of the turbine is not ideal, from the modest wind resource available, the system is able to generate significant power.